Designation: SCS-4  Edit Date: 2015-08-05
South Dakota Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp The camp was located on the state fairgrounds on the west edge of Huron.
1935, 10/31 - 1937, 2770*
1938 - 1941, 4725V
Date Closed: 1941, Fall
The camp was located on the state fairgrounds on the west edge of Huron. At first State Fair buildings were used for barracks, mess hall, company headquarters, technical service quarters, hospital, and educational buildings (1936). New buildings were provided the fall of 1936. Soon they were surrounded with grassy lawns, flower beds, and stone walks.
Work projects were conducted under the supervision of the newly created Soil Conservation Service.
The first project was the construction of two rubble masonry dams on the James River. The first replaced the old Third Street Dam in Huron. The Spink County Dam was 22 miles north of Huron (SDSC) in section 21, T 62N, R 114W in Spink County and formed Lake Dudley.x
xDerschied, Lyle A. "The Civilian Conservation Corps in South Dakota, 1933-1942." Brookings, SD, South Dakota State University Foundation Press, 1986. No longer in print. Available at some libraries but may not be checked-out.
|Lat / Lon always verify yourself|
|GPS always verify yourself|
|44° 21' 47.9" N||98°13'48.4" W|